[fpc-devel] "Blank slate" next version of FPC

wkitty42 at windstream.net wkitty42 at windstream.net
Thu Feb 21 15:05:29 CET 2019

On 2/20/19 12:58 PM, James via fpc-devel wrote:
> Someone pointed out that a main goal of Pascal was to keep one from shooting
>  oneself in the foot. It is this spirit that I think should be extended (if
> possible) to adopt at least the memory safe aspect of Rust. There are other
> programming constructs unrelated to safety which I think merit examination,
> also.

we already have this, don't we? the biggest problem i see is the lack of proper
buffer, stack, and heap checking when folks are developing their programs... i
mean if you have a 1024byte destination buffer you're going to fill from another
buffer, check how much is in the originating buffer before just blindly copying
it over to the destination buffer... not checking for things like that is just
lazy... hell, deploy with stack and heap checking enabled... slower? really?
with today's machines? it doesn't make that much difference, in the long run...
the system will still be waiting 95+% of the time for something to do...