[fpc-devel] "Blank slate" next version of FPC

Paul van Helden paul at planetgis.co.za
Wed Feb 20 08:36:08 CET 2019

> and FPC's goal to remain Delphi-compatible.
>>

>> So are inline variables coming soon?
>> http://blog.marcocantu.com/blog/2018-october-inline-variables-delphi.html
>>

> We have already decided internally that this feature is where we draw the
> line. We won't implement it and we are also inclined to say "patches *not*
> welcome" for that.
>
> Regards,
> Sven

To add a dissenting voice, from someone who has followed FPC development
for more than 10 years and used to be very exited about FPC/Lazarus...

Sven's statement just about seals it for me. So then FPC's main goal isn't
Delphi compatibility any more? I for one will use inline variable
declarations and therefore say goodbye to FPC. Not to start a pro-vs-con
discussion in this thread, but personally I see only advantages in more
fine-grained control of variable scope. (Plus it has been irritating me for
more than 25 years to go to the top to declare variables [and no,
auto-declarations by the IDE doesn't fix it for me; e.g. if generics are
good, why not duck typing?]). Yes, Embarcadero has done some horrid things
to the language, but I don't see this as one of them. As a big fan of the
Pascal language, I'd rather break compatibility and see the language evolve
than the stoic attitude of the core devs as seen on this list. (And inline
vars doesn't break anything!) If Oxygene was open source and (CPU) native,
I wouldn't even been reading this list...

/2c