[fpc-devel] Graphical RAD IDE in FPC

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Sep 17 08:39:01 CEST 2018

On Mon, 17 Sep 2018, Alexander via fpc-devel wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Sep 2018 07:52:24 +0200
> Sven Barth via fpc-devel <fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
>
>> Alexander via fpc-devel <fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org> schrieb am Mo.,
>> 17. Sep. 2018, 07:20:
>>
>> > Lasarus use non native for FPC widgets, MSE non stable work.
>> >

>> Huh? Please explain that. Lazarus is *the* example for using native widgets
>> and is one of the points the authors of MSE and fpGUI complain about with
>> the LCL.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sven
>>

> I obtain lazarus_1_8_4 sources and make it.
> See about dependent Lazarus: GTK widgets. GTK is C widgets, but not native Pascal widgets.

When we speak of "native widgets", we mean "native to the operating system".

What you mean is 'pure pascal' widgets.

Lazarus can work with the 'custom-drawn widgetset' or with fpGUI. Both are
pascal implementations of widget sets. I don't know how well these widgetsets work.

In each case, I do not believe that creating a pascal widget set will result
in a better RAD experience.

Using the operating system's widget sets ensures that you use a widgetset which
has been tested by a much larger audience than just the pascal community.
They will be more stable and bug free than a pure pascal implementation.

Michael.