[fpc-devel] The 15k bounty: Optimizing executable speed forLinux x86 / LLVM

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Thu Oct 25 09:05:12 CEST 2018

I would argue how such a bounty would be
rewarded here because overall performance
gains have been done by multiple
submitters. For example, I've submitted a
number of improvements to the optimiser to
produce both smaller and faster machine
code.

And unfortunately not many of us have
access to Kylix.

Saying all that though, any improvement to
FPC is greatly welcomed.

Gareth aka. Kit

On Thu 25/10/18 08:38 , Michael Van
Canneyt michael at freepascal.org sent:

> On Sat, 20 Oct 2018, Simon Kissel wrote:
>

> > - Make Exception handling, TLS etc use
the
> infrastructure that
> >  libpthread is providing
>

> TLS is handled already by libpthread. I
doubt you will gain much there.

> However, Exception handling is a
problem. There are 2 possible ways ahead:

> - DWARF exception handling as mentioned
by Sven.

> - Port SEH to be cross platform, this is
the approach as taken by Kylix.

> Kilyx has a small rtlunwind  library
that mimics the needed run-time
> functionality