[fpc-devel] End of support for Win XP?

Denis Kozlov dezlov at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 14:08:39 CET 2018

It still feels *very early* to drop support for Windows XP. I haven't
used it properly in years, but I can't say the same about the target
user audience. I still test some builds against Windows XP.

It would be a shame to drop support for Windows XP over
SHGetKnownFolderPath(), when alternatives like SHGetFolderPath() and
even older SHGetSpecialFolderPath() still work in all existing NT
versions, including 2000, XP, 7, 8, 10. I totally support the use of
newer API when it is available, however it is not too difficult to use
an older API with dynamic bindings, especially if we are talking about a
single function.

A proposal:
1) Use windirs.GetWindowsSpecialDir in fpttf.pp, which already uses a
more backwards compatible SHGetFolderPath().
2) Optionally, improve windirs.GetWindowsSpecialDir to use a newer
SHGetKnownFolderPath() when it is available.

If this is suitable, I can produce a patch for both.

Denis