[fpc-devel] Allow record helper inheritance in Delphi mode

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 29 07:54:54 CEST 2017

Am 28.08.2017 23:11 schrieb "Ondrej Pokorny" <lazarus at kluug.net>:

> Hello!
>
> I find it unnecessary to disable record helper inheritance in Delphi
mode. Due to this  artificial limitation I have to change unit mode from
Delphi to ObjFPC.

> Reasons:
> 1.) It's a limitation of a feature that FPC already has.
> 2.) I write FPC-only code in Delphi mode. I don't care about Delphi
compatibilty.
> 3.) There are already switches/features allowed in Delphi mode that are
not compatible with Delphi either. (E.g.  {$COPERATORS ON}, {$MACRO ON},
maybe more).

> Please either allow record helper inheritance in Delphi mode by default
or at least make a switch to allow it. I can try to come up with a patch if
you suggest what you prefer.

> I find it ridiculous to change the mode of a whole unit just to enable a
feature that FPC already has and Delphi strangely lacks.

This will not be enabled by default. If anything a modeswitch will be added
so that users are aware that what they'll write will not be compatible with
Delphi.
However since I'm busy with other FPC stuff: patches welcome. Suggested
name is "NonDelphiExtensions".

Regards,
Sven