[fpc-devel] get/put in fpc

Schneider schneidt at mail.nih.gov
Fri Oct 9 23:39:08 CEST 2015

Sven:

> I have to admit that I'm quite impressed that you're using only
> Standard Pascal (I personally wouldn't want to miss many features of
> the modern dialects ;) ).

Well, sometimes it's tempting.  The only thing that I do violate for
some programs is getting the date and time.  That's not standard, so I
put them into modules that can be replaced automatically (my 'module'
program does 'insertions' at the text level).

> In addition you might be the biggest ISO user
> of FPC yet :) (which will hopefully help to find more bugs in that mode
> ;) )

Well, assuming that it gets off the ground and I can compile my
programs ...

> Out of interest: are you interested in any Extended Pascal features?

I've been programming in Pascal for more than 30 years.  The code has
survived numerous computer and operating system switches because I
didn't rely on computer- or compiler-specific features.  So I'm not at
all inclined to trap the programs.  These features would have to be
available in all Pascal compilers ... but the p2c translator is
unlikely to support them and the original author is not responding.
So it looks like p2c depends on me for now ... and it's dead Jim (on a
Mac).

Tom

  Thomas D. Schneider, Ph.D.
  Senior Investigator
  National Institutes of Health
  National Cancer Institute
  Center for Cancer Research
  Gene Regulation and Chromosome Biology Laboratory
  Molecular Information Theory Group
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  schneidt at mail.nih.gov
  https://schneider.ncifcrf.gov (current link)