[fpc-devel] compile problems with fpc: linking issue

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Oct 9 10:44:37 CEST 2015

Schneider wrote:
> Folks:
> Linking hello
> ld: warning: object file (hello.o) was built for newer OSX version (10.10) than being linked (10.5)
> ld: warning: object file (/sw/lib/fpc/2.6.4/units/x86_64-darwin/rtl/system.o) was built for newer OSX version (10.9) than being linked (10.5)
> 5 lines compiled, 0.1 sec
> 27%
>
> Why is this happening?  I'm on OS X 10.10.5.

It is due to Xcode 7, which encodes the target OS X version in every
object file. If none is specified, it uses the host OS version (10.10 in
your case).

Previous versions of Xcode did not encode this OS X version in object
files (its assembler did not even have an option to do so). The linker,
however, did support specifying the target OS X version, so FPC has used
that option since a long time (and 10.4 is FPC's default target OS
version for i386 binaries).

The warning is completely benign in case of FPC, because the compiler
currently never uses OS-version-specific constructs in object files, and
you can ignore it.

With FPC 3.0rc2 and later, the warning will be gone altogether.

Jonas