[fpc-devel] Status of debug line info

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Mon Jun 22 14:06:29 CEST 2015

Sergio Flores wrote on Mon, 22 Jun 2015:

> Sadly, except the ones that come from Windows users, the others have a
> stack dump that just has addresses.
>
> Please correct if I'm wrong, but it seems that line info is not working in
> those 3 major platforms:
>
> - Android
> - iOS
> - OSX
>
> From what I gathered last time, both iOS and OSX need fpc support for DWARF
> debug info, and thats why they not work (again, I not 100% sure if I'm
> correct).

FPC's lineinfo unit for DWARF does not support reading the DWARF info
on OS X/iOS. The reason is that unlike on Linux, on OS X/iOS the DWARF
info is not put in the linked binary. Instead,
a) if you don't use -Xg, the the linked binary contains references to
the object files. The lineinfo unit would need support to read these
references, and then relocate the addresses in the stack trace to
offsets within the object files (or vice versa).
b) if you do use -Xg, the dsymutil utility is used to copy the DWARF
information from all object files into a single object file, which is
stored in a .dSYM bundle in the same directory as the binary. This
bundle/file can be found based on a UUID that is stored inside the
linked binary (it doesn't have to stay in the same directory as the
binary), and the addresses in that debug object will also have to be
remapped onto the linked binary. The DWARF lineinfo unit doesn't
contain support for this either.

All that said, you're simply using the wrong approach. You obviously
do not want to ship all object files of your program to your
customers, and I doubt Apple would be very happy (or even allow) you
to ship a .dSYM debug bundle with your application on iOS. As far as I
know, all crash reporters in general use work by collecting only
addresses and base load address information (for the binary and all
shared libraries) when the crash occurs, send this information to the
developer, and the developer then uses the debug information to
symbolicate everything on his machine.

That is also what you should do with FPC. The lineinfo units are just
some minor convenience units that may help with local debugging.
Making a program that may already be crashing and burning start
looking for debug info, read it in, parse it, interpret it based on
load addresses etc is inherently a bad approach, since that code will
be running in a potentially corrupted environment (which is why the
lineinfo units contain all of that code to abort in case an error has
been detected, in order to keep them from endlessly tripping over
themselves in case e.g. the heap got corrupted). When something goes
wrong, you want to terminate as soon as possible and do as little
extra work as possible (and definitely not something IO-related or
something that may need extra memory).

> I asked FPC to generate a map file for Android (via -Xm) and noticed that
> all addresses there are way different than the addresses in the stack
> dumps. This makes sense, because when the .SO file that contains pascal
> code is loaded in Android, it gets reallocated, so the addresses in the
> .map file are just relative addresses.
>
> Question 1:
> Is it possible that this is a simple problem caused by FPC not calculating
> the base address correctly and thus not finding the routine/line info?
> If yes, anyone can point to the right place so I can try to look at it.

I can only point to rtl/inc/lnfodwrf.pas. I don't know whether it
contains support for dynamic libraries.

> Question 2:
> Related to question 1, but more broad. Can anyone give me a fast resume how
> line info actually works in FPC. What files in FPC source should I look at
> in case I want to add support for example for line info in Android/OSX/iOS?

Again: if your interest is a crash reporter, relying on the lineinfo
units is simply the wrong approach (especially for iOS, but in general
there's no reason to ship debug info --even only partial one-- to your
customers).

> Question 3:
> I also found this C library that converts crashes that happen in native
> code to proper Java exceptions with a neat stack dump of the native code. I
> though I might try using this for now,  but it requires some compile flags
> that I dont know if I can pass to FPC.
>
>   LOCAL_CFLAGS := -funwind-tables -Wl,--no-merge-exidx-entries
>
> Is it possible to pass the flags?

FPC does not support generating unwind tables at this time, except on Windows.

Jonas