[fpc-devel] New FPC language/dialect MODE, Generics.Collections and new branch

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Jul 17 09:59:40 CEST 2015

In our previous episode, Maciej Izak said:
> New modern Pascal dialect is subject of this topic.

Modern is a very vague term, and more a matter of taste.

> Is any way to get branch for new pascal dialect and for
> generics.collections improvements? For me ObjFPC is too much conservative
> and Delphi after XE2 version, really sucks, so $MODE Delphi is not option.

But what does it actually prohibit ?  Not agreeing with Delphi design
choices is as old as Delphi itself.

> I think is good idea to discuss new dialect. I really like some elements
> from ObjFPC, also from Delphi and from Oxygene (we can't implement pure
> $MODE Oxygene but some ideas are good). To combine best of mentioned
> dialects elements we need to create new $MODE. I call my new dialect
> "Sparta" (yes it is related to freesparta.com) but I can change this name.

{$mode YAMPD} - Yet Another Modern Pascal Dialect ?

> I have some concerns, that all my effort for new dialect even if I done
> some work will be useless.

I would focus more on the feature themselves, and worry about grouping them
into dialects later. There are escapes using {$modeswitch } anyway, and
making your changes compatible with multiple modes should take precedence
about creating a new dialect mode.