[fpc-devel] FPC CHM files

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Sat Feb 14 00:49:27 CET 2015

On Fri, 13 Feb 2015 23:53:56 +0100 (CET)
marcov at stack.nl (Marco van de Voort) wrote:

> In our previous episode, Mattias Gaertner said:
> >
> > I'm searching for the newest version of chm files (rtl, fcl, user,
> > fpdoc, prog, ref, toc).
> > Where is the most recent snapshot?
>
> January snapshot (for 3.0 doc build testing)
>
> http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/doc-chm_with_lcl_trunk_trunk.zip

Great. Thanks.

> > If there are no snapshots: Is it still so complicated as described
> > here:
> >
> > http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/chm_backend_for_fpdoc#Generating_FPC_CHM_docs_for_the_latex_documentation
>
> From memory what I do is
>
> Once:
> - install latex
> - install tex4ht (nowadays just from package, in the past this was torture)

ok

> Everytime:
> - with a full snapshot of FPC available run fpcdocs/fixdocs.sh  with the sources of FPC at
>   ../fpc

ok, then this file exists:
../fpc/compiler/version.pas

Running "sh -x fixdocs.sh" gives:

+ ./compilelatexchm prog 'Programmer'\''s Guide'
skipping .
skipping ..
An unhandled exception occurred at $00000000004591F6 :
EFOpenError : Unable to open file "prog/prog.html"
  $00000000004591F6
  $0000000000458F47
  $000000000042F435
  $00000000004016D2
  $0000000000402611

Maybe first the html must be built?

> - Switch to lazarus
> - make sure all xml docs for all units exists. This usually takes most time.
> - Check location of fpdoc dir in build_lcl_chm.sh  it needs to find the
>   generated FPC docs for cross referencing.
> - run  doc/html/build_lcl_chm.sh
>
> - Gather all chm, xct and non zero .kwds. Package in a help/ with the readme
>   from fpcdocs repo
>
> The last snapshot was smaller than the previous, so there might still be
> trunk fpdoc issues. But I don't have a lead what exactly is wrong with them.
>
> Messing with threading can be very rewarding, about halving build times. I
> had corrupt chms on occasion though, but not reproducable.

Mattias