[fpc-devel] FPC CHM files

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Feb 13 23:53:56 CET 2015

In our previous episode, Mattias Gaertner said:

> I'm searching for the newest version of chm files (rtl, fcl, user,
> fpdoc, prog, ref, toc).
> Where is the most recent snapshot?

January snapshot (for 3.0 doc build testing)

http://www.stack.nl/~marcov/doc-chm_with_lcl_trunk_trunk.zip

> If there are no snapshots: Is it still so complicated as described
> here:
>
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/chm_backend_for_fpdoc#Generating_FPC_CHM_docs_for_the_latex_documentation

>From memory what I do is

Once:
- install latex
- install tex4ht (nowadays just from package, in the past this was torture)

Everytime:
- with a full snapshot of FPC available run fpcdocs/fixdocs.sh  with the sources of FPC at
  ../fpc
- Switch to lazarus
- make sure all xml docs for all units exists. This usually takes most time.
- Check location of fpdoc dir in build_lcl_chm.sh  it needs to find the
  generated FPC docs for cross referencing.
- run  doc/html/build_lcl_chm.sh

- Gather all chm, xct and non zero .kwds. Package in a help/ with the readme
  from fpcdocs repo

The last snapshot was smaller than the previous, so there might still be
trunk fpdoc issues. But I don't have a lead what exactly is wrong with them.

Messing with threading can be very rewarding, about halving build times. I
had corrupt chms on occasion though, but not reproducable.