[fpc-devel] RTTI interface & variant late binding issue (mORMot)

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sat Feb 7 13:59:58 CET 2015

> On Sat, 7 Feb 2015, Jonas Maebe wrote:
>
>> The libffi license is basically a BSD license, that's no problem at all:
>> https://github.com/atgreen/libffi/blob/master/LICENSE
>
> I am not a proponent of third-party dependencies.

I am not a proponent of reimplementing everything but the kitchen sink
because of other people's adversity to reusing existing solutions.

> Then, there is a practical issue:
> I doubt libffi knows the Delphi calling conventions and the pascal
> calling convention where the callee clears the stack (or was it vice
> versa)? Since that is our main target group, I consider this a serious
> problem.

It does support those calling conventions.

> Thirdly, from looking at the use of this library, you will have to
> implement some kind of layer in between anyway that describes the
> function, so I do not really see the gain.

The gain is that you implement this once and it will work for all
platforms, rather than that you have to reimplement it for every single
architecture (and depending on the implementation: every single calling
convention too) combination that we support.

Jonas