[fpc-devel] Suggestion: reference counted objects

Boian Mitov mitov at mitov.com
Sun Sep 21 20:25:11 CEST 2014

So why are you not programming in Assembler?
The arguments you provide are the same that ware provided against higher
level languages, adding OOP, adding anonymous methods, just to name few.
I spent 2 years streamlining all of our code - 4 mln. lines of code to use
the latest language features, and in the following year we had a 10x boost
in development performance, so it immediately paid off, and now we have 800K
code instead of 4 mln. With the old code we ware running out of steam just
to maintain it. The new code just largely takes care of itself.
Rewriting code is actually a good thing, and I do rewrite cycles in the
company every 3-4 years, sometimes for some pars even more often. Every time
the code improves as does the performance, and quality. If ARC forces you to
review some code, that actually is a good thing. You will need to retest it
after the changes, but if you have good unit or functional testing should
not be big issue, and if you don’t will be a good chance to add it, or to at
least make sure the code really behaves.

With best regards,
Boian Mitov

Mitov Software
www.mitov.com