[fpc-devel] Binary Package System Discussion?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 6 22:29:19 CEST 2014

> Any thoughts?

Dream on. FPC is a native compiler and someone would need to implement that
proposed bytecode and maintain it.
Even once we support LLVM we wouldn't drop any of our native code
generators and even if we did LLVM simply does not support all those
platforms that we support (e.g. m68k as CPU or OS/2 as OS).
Additionally there'd still be the platform differences which would stop you
from distributing one set of blobs: on Windows you need to use the WinAPI,
on Linux C API and X11 and on Mac OS X C API and Carbon/Cocoa. If you'd
encode all this currently handled by ifdefs and different units into those
blobs you could simply distribute the source as well.

Please note that support for binary packages (aka dynamic packages) will
come. But they will depend on a target just as compiled units currently do
already.

Regards,
Sven