[fpc-devel] CMem allocator memory alignment experiment

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 13:14:33 CET 2014

Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR) wrote:

>> Perhaps the most serious scenario is where an architecture or particular
>> implementation requires alignment, but the kernel traps alignment errors and
>> fixes them silently. SPARC Solaris does this and my understanding is that it
>> introduces a very significant performance overhead;
>
> Linux also does this.

On some but by no means all platforms. I'm specifically trying to
highlight the fact that on SPARC, Solaris can fix alignment issues (at a
price) but Linux doesn't try to. I don't know to what extent there are
comparable issues on other platforms (in particular x86_64) for which
both Solaris and Linux are implemented.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk