[fpc-devel] "fpc -h" and "fpc -i"

Juha Manninen juha.manninen62 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 11:15:08 CET 2014

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 1:13 AM, Tomas Hajny <XHajT03 at hajny.biz> wrote:
> If you mean that FPC itself should use a JSON file for generating the
> help, that doesn't sound like a good idea to me (see below).

I think it is a good idea if only somebody implemented it. It is not a
trivial thing to implement of course.
It seems Dmitry is not working towards a patch either so very likely
this will never happen.

Anyway, the JSON records and structure would contain info about FPC
targets, usefulnes in an external (Lazarus) GUI, type of selection
(single/multi select), links to section lists etc., all in a parser
friendly way.
A JSON parser in FPC itself would generated "fpc -h" and "fpc -i"
outputs when requested, but external programs (like Lazarus) could get
the JSON data with "fpc -hj" or something.
Yes, it is a good idea!

---

I have created issues
and