[fpc-devel] fp without X

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Tue Mar 18 14:21:35 CET 2014

Generally, TERM is the setting you want.  I generally do an
export TERM=vt100
in my .profile file, and all is as it should be.
You could of course substitute any value of your choice, but I find
vt100 is the lowest common demonitor, and it works everywhere and with
everything.
If your .profile doesn't get used, then you can put the command in
your .bashrc file as well.
I have a similar setup to you, 768MB of ram is the max in this old
pentium machine, I've opted to leave the 768MB in though, and
installed slackware on it, it sees and uses all the memory, and it
works much better than it did with the 512 it had prior.
I have two ubuntu machines too, but those do use x (to varying
degrees) though most of my ork is done at the terminal prompt, usually
via ssh from my mac.
Fpc works well in all these environments.
And, remember, case is important when exporting session variables.