[fpc-devel] fp without X

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Mon Mar 17 18:12:05 CET 2014

On 3/17/2014 6:46 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> waldo kitty wrote:
>> i'm not sure this is the proper area for this... if it is not, please point me
>> to the proper list...
>>
>> i've a ubuntu system that i'm trying to run fp on... X does *not* start
>> automatically... i'm working from the virtual console(s) 99% of the time...
>> what i'm seeing and trying to solve is the frames in fp are showing up as
>> diamond characters... after i got the help stuff loading properly, i noted
>> that when i switched away from the editor frame, it showed the single line
>> frame characters and the help frame was all diamonds... closing the help and
>> returning to the editor switched the editor frame back to diamonds...
>
> There might be something related to the  locale  command relevant to this. As a
> quick test I've just fired up fp on a Debian (non-x86) console and framing etc.
> was OK, I see LANG set to en_GB.UTF-8

yeah, i'm in the US... i did post the two settings i saw from the environment
that i thought were important... what other environment settings may affect this?

> I'm uneasy about things like console and X codepages, and the corresponding
> keyboard mappings. One problem is that when they're changed they tend to be
> system-wide, another is that things like available founts and codepages can
> depend on how much of X11 has been installed. Put another way, your console
> might be broken /because/ X isn't installed, not /despite/ it.

actually, X is installed but not running... i'm on tty1 - tty6... if i type
"startx" then X starts up but the machine only has 512M RAM and cannot handle
any more... i had 768M in it and on boot it says that 512M is the max so i
pulled the other 256M and put it to use elsewhere... with only 512M of RAM, it
is slower than molasses in mid-winter :(  so, i use the plain non-GUI local
console for most work i do on it...