[fpc-devel] FPC and Windows Phone 8

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Mar 11 10:59:05 CET 2014

Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 03/11/2014 03:10 AM, Vsevolod Alekseyev wrote:
>>   I've tried several assembly sequences that would branch and switch
>> mode; they all would cause an exception.
> Supposedly the interrupt code of the OS does not save and restore the
> "running in Thumb mode" flag. So you are out of luck with non-Thumb code.
>
> This is obviously a shortcoming due to the arrogance of the creator of
> the OS, thoughtlessly castrating the high-performance feature of the
> processor.
>
> This strictly recommends not to use this OS.

I don't know whether this is news to anybody: if not my apologies for
adding noise to the thread.

Elsewhere, I see a number of experienced (ex-)Delphi programmers
complaining that

!! It seems Microsoft has changed the functionality of GetVersionEx
!! with Windows 8.1 to no longer return the accurate operating system
! ...and instead shows the version of the operating system that it
! thinks your program wants to hear, rather like a child answering a
! tricky question ('Have you tidied your room?). Fabulous.

There's more in that vein, including some tentative workarounds, but
this appears to be a potential portability pitfall.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk