[fpc-devel] Syntax choice (was: Blocks support)

Dmitry Boyarintsev skalogryz.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 18:15:19 CEST 2014

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 6:28 PM, Jonas Maebe <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be>
wrote:

> I proposed to use "is block" because of the analogy with the already
> existing "is nested". Neither "block" nor "nested" was/is/would be a
> reserved word afterwards, just like many other words that have a special
> meaning in one context or another (look at compiler/tokens.pas; most tokens
> are not reserved words".

Yes, true. I should have not used "reserved" term but rather context
special words.
And since "is nested" is there, it does make sense to propose "is block".

> It's also a similar concept (you have a pointer to something that
> describes a function), but it's incompatible and different so you need a
> different syntax. Any different syntax is fine, as far as I'm concerned.

It's just my personal appeal to reuse as many of existing reserved/context
words as possible. (In which case "is block" seems better to me, than
"reference to"... just because its less typing, though too "block"-specific)

I'd think that as soon as the feature is added to the trunk, some other
source parsing libraries (CodeTools, fpc-passrc) needs to be updated.

thanks,
Dmitry