[fpc-devel] One fpc.cfg per fpc version

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 17 20:30:41 CET 2014

On 17.02.2014 13:24, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 12:41:45 +0100
> Sven Barth <pascaldragon at googlemail.com> wrote:

>>> I'm investigating what Lazarus needs to support to switch fpc versions
>>> more easily. That's why I'm collecting all the possibilities how people
>>> install multiple versions of fpc. I'm puzzled of the amount of different
>>> approaches - I thought two were enough. I wonder if some of them exists
>>> only because the user did not know the alternatives.
>>
>> I can add my own flavor as well. :D
>>
>> I have fpc installed in /mnt/data/applications/$FPCVERSION with the usual
>> dir structure underneath. In ~/.bin I have symlinks for fpc, fpcres,
>> fpcmake and various ppcXXX. The directory is also in PATH. In ~/.config/fpc
>> I have various fpc.$FPCVERSION.cfg and ~/.fpc.cfg is a symlink as well. All
>> these symlinks are updated with a switch-fpc script that gets the version
>> to symlink to as argument.
>
> For Lazarus switching should work without invoking a script or
> changing a file. Only environment variables and parameters.

Since I'm a compiler developer I'm not running purely the IDE as I often
need to "make cycle" the compiler or to "make clean all" a full build.
This approach allows me to easily update the release compiler without
having to think that much about it (except that a new release install
requires a new fpc.cfg).

Regards,
Sven