[fpc-devel] One fpc.cfg per fpc version

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Mon Feb 17 18:30:57 CET 2014

On Mon, February 17, 2014 17:37, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Feb 2014, Tomas Hajny wrote:
>
>>> I agree that the best option would be to use the -V and -P options of
>>> fpc.
>>>
>>> But, for this, it would be best if fpc can list the available versions
>>> and
>>> architectures/cross-compilers.
>>
>> Assuming that list of supported FPC installations should be configurable
>> by the user in Lazarus settings, listing of versions wouldn't be
>> necessary
>> (it would be incomplete anyway in many cases). I see no use for -V in
>> this
>> use case either (due to differences between global and local
>> installations
>> and also installations in non-standard places). I believe that -Xp
>> should
>> cover everything needed (at least as long as that parameter is supported
>> by the installed FPC version; if not, invoking fpc with a modified PATH
>> would be my suggested solution).
>
> I think you are wrong.
>
> -Xp is there for the case you have a special setup.
>
> -V is there for standard installations, so you don't need to know the
> paths.
>
> I think it is by far preferable to use the latter.
> If you're not going to use/encourage it, you'd better remove it
> altogether.

I certainly don't need to be right here ;-) but my thought was that if
Lazarus wanted to cater for both standard installations (releases) and
non-standard ones (allowing users to configure them inside Lazarus rather
than expecting that Lazarus should detect them automatically, of course)
as suggested by Mattias in his earlier e-mail, using -Xp would be a more
generic solution.

That obviously does not imply that -V shouldn't be used with fpc for other
use cases, it's just that it may not fit the Lazarus need completely (as
far as I understood Mattias correctly, of course).

Tomas