[fpc-devel] fpmkunit - support for listing of packages for install.dat updates (Was: Re: [Core] Short 8.3 archive-filenames by fpmake)

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Sat Dec 6 05:14:06 CET 2014

On 30 Nov 14, at 1:48, FPC Core Developer List <core wrote:

Hi Joost,

 .
 .
> I guess that I'll have a look at extending fpmkunit so that it allows
> extracting the metadata in a format compatible to install.dat (as
> used for the text-mode installer for Go32v2 and OS/2) to simplify
> addition of packages new since the previous release. It wouldn't
> automate it fully (that would require much more effort due to
> restrictions for the description length, possibility of keyboard
> shortcuts, etc.), but the effort especially when adding a bigger
> amount of packages at once (like now with the split utils ;-) ) would
> be much lower. Deriving this functionality from support for the
> Manifest command looks quite easy at the first sight. Obviously, I'll
> send you a patch for your review first.
 .
 .

As mentioned above, I've prepared a patch for fpmkunit to allow
listing of packages in a way supporting simplification of updates of
install.dat (the file used by the text-mode installer under OS/2 and
GO32v2).

It works by adding a new command ('pkglist'). If used for standard
packages (rather than 'utils'), '-zp units-' needs to be passed among
fpmake options. I've added special recognition for explicit passing
of 'osnone' as target OS which is used in this command to generate
list of zip files with sources (instead of archive with compiled
files). I had to use different rules for evaluation of the
AllLimit83fsOSes (generation of files supporting manual editing of
install.dat for its update in SVN should not depend on the host
operating system where this operation is performed), but this special
treatment is limited to this new command, of course.

Please, let me know what you think about it and if I may commit these
changes.

Tomas