[fpc-devel] Need heap manager -gv explanation [tests]

Petr Kristan petr.kristan at epos.cz
Tue Apr 29 12:12:39 CEST 2014

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 11:49:20AM +0200, Tomas Hajny wrote:
> On Tue, April 29, 2014 10:30, Petr Kristan wrote:
>  .
>  .
> > I use "inteligent" block increasing. I can optimize program, but why is
> > fpc heap manager to slow?
> >
> > Here is the sample stress program compilable with fpc, delphi and kylix:
>  .
>  .
> > And here are results:
>  .
>  .
> > Is possible to speedup heap manager?
>
> Well, results of your test program on my machine (physical machine, MS Win
> 7 32-bit) show something different:
>
> Grow 0-9000000 31ms
> Grow 10000000-19000000 109ms
> Grow 20000000-29000000 172ms
> Grow 30000000-39000000 250ms
> Grow 40000000-49000000 327ms
> Grow 50000000-59000000 406ms
> Grow 60000000-69000000 483ms
> Grow 70000000-79000000 546ms
> Grow 80000000-89000000 625ms
> Grow 90000000-99000000 702ms
> Grow 100000000-109000000 764ms
> Sum 4431ms
>
> (compiled without cmem / without valgrind)
>
> Grow 0-9000000 31ms
> Grow 10000000-19000000 125ms
> Grow 20000000-29000000 203ms
> Grow 30000000-39000000 265ms
> Grow 40000000-49000000 375ms
> Grow 50000000-59000000 436ms
> Grow 60000000-69000000 531ms
> Grow 70000000-79000000 624ms
> Grow 80000000-89000000 733ms
> Grow 90000000-99000000 796ms
> Grow 100000000-109000000 873ms
> Sum 5008ms
>
> (compiled with -gv; as expected, adding CMem to the uses clause and
> compiling without -gv gives basically the same result).
Are you sure that -gv in windows has any effect?
I think, that valgrind can be used only in unix systems. Isn't -gv
option silently ignored in windows?

> Tests performed with trunk compiler based on SVN from about 10 days ago.
> Results for 2.6.4 are more or less the same.
Approve, I tested in 2.6. too.

> I don't know the reason of your difference, but no time necessary at all
> (0 ms) for the valgrind variant looks very suspicious to me.
But compiling by kylix compiler, i get the same results as by fpc with
-gv option in linux.
This is the reason why I start to hunt where is my program to slow if
compiled by fpc against kylix.

Petr

--
Petr Kristan