[fpc-devel] fpc compiler is unable to link on OSX Mavericks

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Oct 4 14:38:13 CEST 2013

On 04 Oct 2013, at 14:21, Michael Ring wrote:

> on commandline-tools:
> the funny thing is that XCode (5.01 GA) does not show command line
> package tools package in 'Downloads' anymore on my system, not sure
> if this is because I updated my system or because they changed the
> way that the commandline tools are installed.

Apparently they are now a separate download, which should be installed
automatically the first time you try to use one of the command line
tools: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17066849/command-line-tools-for-new-10-9-osx-for-ruby-gems

If you did not get a pop-up as described in that thread, maybe you are
using some kind of partial install of the command line tools. Can you
try downloading them separately and installing them, to verify that
there is still no globally installed crt1.o afterwards?

> [ring at macbookpro devel]$ clang -print-search-dirs
> programs: =/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/
> XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin:/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/
> Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin
> libraries: =/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/
> XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/../lib/clang/5.0

It's rather strange that this doesn't include any directory containing
crt1.o, unless clang automatically searches other directories relative
to that library directory. Can you check your environment variables
(just type "set" in a terminal window) to see whether it contains any
variables with a path to an SDK?

Jonas