[fpc-devel] Comparison FPC 2.6.2 - Delphi 7

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Mar 5 11:08:07 CET 2013

Henry Vermaak wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 09:41:37AM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> Sven Barth wrote:
>>>>
>>> Make can not figure out the dependencies between units by itself
>>> as it would need to parse them.
>> That's for the user to do, if he thinks he can do a better job than FPC.
>
> Or implement an option that spits out the dependencies for make, so that
> the user doesn't have to do this.

Possibly augmented by timestamp-based validity checking. Yes, but I
didn't want to muddy the water by suggesting too many things at once :-)

Seriously: if FPC's putting too much internal work into sorting out
dependencies and somebody is prepared to write his code for an
alternative build system, then give him enough rope. But it would
obviously shine a harsh light on the compiler if this turned out not to
be the major bottleneck.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk