[fpc-devel] Delphi anonymous methods

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 5 10:51:30 CET 2013

Am 05.03.2013 10:41, schrieb Paul Ishenin:
> 05.03.13, 17:14, Sven Barth wrote:
>
>> Just for your information: I will implement generic methods will full
>> requirement for "generic" and "specialize" in mode ObjFPC (and no, you
>> can't change my opinion on that).
>
> Yes, I didn't expect my mails will suddenly change your opinion. And
> even if they would change there are enough fpc team members who will
> protected objfpc generics :) I only hope to stop duplicate
> implementation of other delphi features.

I won't remove your hope, but I'll also not do anything to fulfill it :P

>> And regarding backwards compatibility: we are not only talking about FPC
>> and Lazarus. There are enough people around that use FPC's generic
>> syntax and that alone is reason enough to keep it.
>
> Enough - how much? 50 or 100 projects? What will be needed to make
> them work with dephi syntax? Remove word generic and specialize?

Once we support generic functions/procedures (which Delphi does not
support) it will be more :)

>> Especially those that don't care about
>> Delphi compatibility. Also it seems that those that like to develop in
>> Delphi are the only ones complaining...
>
> Think about component and applications developers who need to care
> about FPC and Delphi. Less incompatibilities FPC will have more 3rd
> party components and applications it will get.
For exactly this purpose we have the mode Delphi. And if something is
not working there it's either a missing feature, a bug or something that
we just plain refuse to support... (e.g. in Delphi you can have one set
element multiple times in the same set constructor: [objectdef,
objectdef, objectdef])

> I remember author of Total Commander who had failed to port his
> project to FPC + Laz because of many incompatilities in both projects.

And some differences are by design. Think about resource string handling
here. We might provide the LoadResString function/callback, but it's
just a dummy, because FPC's resource strings work differently. The same
for Lazarus: some differences are by design, because Lazarus is not
fixed to the Windows platform (as a Lazarus developer you should know this).

> I remember Fib+ developer who stoped his effort to port component to
> FPC after some found incompatibilities.
>
> There is nothing good in incompatibilities.

As already wrote by Michael and me: it's not the purpose of mode ObjFPC
to provide compatibility.

Regards,
Sven