[fpc-devel] Delphi anonymous methods

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 5 09:30:24 CET 2013

Am 05.03.2013 07:56, schrieb Paul Ishenin:
> 05.03.13, 14:10, Sven Barth wrote:
>
>> ObjFPC mode is not compatible with mode Delphi, because of conscious
>> decisions. Think for example about the "@" for procedure variable
>> assignments here or the use of symbolic operator names for overload
>> declarations, instead of words like Delphi did it. And generics are a
>> further example.
>
> And I would left (if needed) only those minimal differences. Or even
> tried to reduce (removed own generics implementation and left only
> Delphi compatible). In any case I would not add more incompatibilities.
>
> Many times the main point to have incompatibilites was: "We
> implemented it earlier". But regards generics how we implemeneted it
> earlier? Even now they have some bugs/missing features. And in 2009
> when Delphi announced them they had much more (you know of course).
> That was more a prototype of generics. But inspite of that we did not
> drop our own implementation.
Just to say one thing clear: I will NOT drop FPC's generic
implementation and I'll revert every commit that tries to do so, because
not only do we have to keep backwards compatibility, but the Delphi
syntax is a nightmare to parse.

Mode ObjFPC is not for Delphi compatiblity. It's there to implement a
cleaner variant of the (Object) Pascal language (and Michael wrote), and
if that means higher maintenance burden, so be it. Somewhen in the
future we should do a rewrite of the parser anyway and then we can learn
from the problems we faced currently and implement it in a way that we
can easily extend the language with different implementations (just like
was done for the backend).

Regards,
Sven