[fpc-devel] Delphi anonymous methods

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Mar 4 18:11:33 CET 2013

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013, Boian Mitov wrote:

> Thank you Michael,
>
> This is a good advise :-) .
> I guess I really should stop using Delphi in the future :-) .
> I am surely not using FPC and staying with Delphi for now, but I appreciate
> your advise.
> Having less people use the language is the way to go :-D .

If you want to drop FPC for because it forces you to move a line and
have to type a name in front of it, then yes, I think you are not on your
place working with pascal.

You should then move to C or Javascript, it will dramatically improve
the number of characters you must type.

No one argues about the concept of closure.

We do not want you to have to declare N classes and M methods to be able to use it.

We do argue about how this can be implemented in a way that has some regard for the
fundamentals of pascal: verbosity, and the requirement to declare everything before
you use it.

A local nested, named procedure has been part of Pascal since very long time.
The proposal just enhances that idea.

Michael.