[fpc-devel] Re: Comparison FPC 2.6.2 - Kylix 3

Martin Schreiber mse00000 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 07:08:25 CET 2013

On Monday 04 March 2013 00:29:51 Vittorio Giovara wrote:

> > IMHO Martin Schreiber is doing a great job using these comparisons and
> > some improvements could be made in FPC... but he is making a mistake
> > in their approach of how to present FPC's "defects".
>
> I am not so sure about this... I know nothing of dcc switches but he
> is comparing the compiler speed with a different set of features, it
> is easy to spot how flawed the comparison is: -O2 -Xg -Xs are all
> optimization flags and it is expected that optimizing code takes time.
>
> Could be interesting to see the speed and size of the binary produced
> by the two compilers, slower compilation time over faster or smaller
> code is something I would pick any time!

Please note that Delphi/Kylix produce both smaller and faster code than FPC in
the testcase, they do full optimisation by default. Quality of the produced
code is another goal of the comparisons.

MSEide sizes

Delphi 7:                               5'062'144
FPC 2.6.2 Windows with smart linking:   6'026'259
Kylix 3:                                5'092'836
FPC 2.6.2 Linux without smart linking   7'463'712
(it can't smartlink with 1MB ram only)

Both Delphi 7 and Kylix 3 compiled MSEide feel more snappy than their FPC
counterpart which is especially surprising for Delphi because Delphi
widestrings are not reference counted.

Martin