[fpc-devel] Comparison FPC 2.6.2 - Delphi 7

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sat Mar 2 17:24:52 CET 2013

In our previous episode, Florian Klaempfl said:
> > I don't see why there would be more synchronization overhead than make?
>
> In a parallelized compiler symtables etc. might be shared and this might
> require a lot of synchronization to prevent data corruption.
> With make, the different units can be seperated much better by a human
> than the compiler can do.

Only if you want to avoid multiply used units to be only once in memory.
IMHO if you are afraid of that, then don't do that :-)

> Not to mention the huge effort it would be to get the compiler
> parallelized internally.

As said the first step can be relatively simple. Get rid of globals some
more, and then only the parts before compile() needs to be changed. The rest
more or less runs as is, and the linker remains single threaded after all
compile threads have finished?