[fpc-devel] where do download BinUtils for ARM - Raspberry Pi?

Thaddy thaddy at thaddy.com
Tue Jul 2 12:01:52 CEST 2013

On 2-7-2013 0:47, Michel Catudal wrote:
> I find smaller devices like the AVR32 and PIC32 more appropriate for embedded system. ARM devices with Linux are more for use with video. The Pi is a bit slow on graphics so I came to the same conclusion as many that it is more usefull using ssh. I can run
> setedit nicely using ssh on the Pi.
>
> Michel

If any, the Pi is NOT slow on graphics. (f.e. try my openvg bindings for
Freepascal from the forum, my Open GLES 2 and OpenMax bindings will
follow soon btw, or the Wayland/Weston demo)
The point is, that the community is currently working in opening up the
GPU and the standard protocols.
What is slow at the moment are the X11 bindings which are atm
accelerated, but only with VFP, taking up a lot of the CPU.
This will soon change when the X11 bindings will be based on Xwayland.
Also, at least two major browsers are being worked on to support the GPU
for rendering, including html5 video.

The point being that the GPU is "a bit" overpowered and the CPU a bit
underpowered, but usefull enough. As the omxplayer, the XBMC flavors and
the GPU demo's demonstrate.

It is only that the bindings to the most common intermediate/high level
layers are in embrionic state.