[fpc-devel] for-in-index loop

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue Jan 29 02:51:32 CET 2013

Paul Ishenin schrieb:
> 28.01.13, 21:20, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>
>>> Different people see different needs in language. There is nothing bad
>>> not to use and not understand some of the language features.
>>
>> tatata, you should always understand everything :)
>
> Very weak argument :) In your work you use system APIs and other
> frameworks which are made in C, C++ or assembler. I believe you don't
> understand everything and if you don't - you use the reference if
> needed. The same way with pascal - if you don't want to learn new
> features then use libraries as black boxes but if you need then use a
> reference.

As a strong argument: you *must* understand everything when you want to
read other people's code, which use the new language features :-(

IMO most of the new features had been added *only* for .NET
compatibility. But since Delphi.NET is dead, I see no need to introduce
them into FPC, where .NET never was on topic. But I understand that the
compiler developers need something to put their hands on, so that the
new language features come in at the right time. The Delphi developers
had a goal (.NET) and limited time, while the FPC developers have time
and look out for new goals. At least it's more fun to implement
something very new, instead of working on incomplete parts (loadable
libraries, targets) which had been delayed due to problems. The same
situation in Lazarus and in many open source projects BTW.

DoDi