[fpc-devel] for-in-index loop

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Fri Jan 25 23:20:29 CET 2013

Sven Barth wrote:
> On 25.01.2013 21:10, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>> Something like
>>
>>  >>>>    for a in a index i do
>>
>> falls squarely into the latter category: it's messy to parse, worse to
>> read, and is completely unlike any existing language idioms.
>>

> I definitely have to disagree here (while still not having an opinion on
> the topic "for-in-index" itself): once you've worked on Delphi style
> generics you know what messy parsing is... and I already get nightmares
> thinking about what I still need to add for Delphi's generics support...
> This for-in-index is a peace of cake to parse in comparison.

I wasn't trying to say that it was easy so much as it would have been
worse if it weren't for the unambiguous delimiters.

In fact I bet that with what you know now you'd be able to move generic
support into a run-time library loaded when the <> idiom was recognised.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk