[fpc-devel] "embedded" again

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Jan 21 17:10:47 CET 2013

Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 01/21/2013 04:18 PM, Sven Barth wrote:
>> Having a working GDB and a working debugger in the fp IDE are two
>> different things, because unlike Lazarus the fp IDE does not use the
>> command line based interface, but uses a library version of GDB which
>> is AFAIK since some versions no longer compiled by default... (and
>> might not be compiled for ARM at all...)
>>
> I see.
>
> I'll ask my colleague who said that Lazarus would "run" on his RPi if he
> in fact used the debugger.

Sven is trying to make the point that the fp IDE and Lazarus use the
debugger completely differently: fp (as I've said at least twice) uses
libgdb which doesn't (to the best of my knowledge) run on ARM, Lazarus
talks to standard gdb.

>  From your mail it seems less  likely that the fp can use the debugger
> that that Lazarus can :-( , as a working command line gdb comes with gcc
> and its availability should be rather "standard".

Lazarus is OK with the GDB on all platforms I've tested including ARM,
except that getting down to the register level can be a bit problematic
on some systems: Martin's rather chasing a moving target.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk