[fpc-devel] "embedded" again

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Jan 17 10:37:58 CET 2013

Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 01/16/2013 05:31 PM, Luca Olivetti wrote:
>>
>> You can install debian on it, then you'll have everything you need
>> (no, I don't own one, I just googled it).
> You are right, but as I use it mainly for it's intended purpose (NAS)
> and here the QNAP-tuned Linux distribution offers really nice feature -
> while not preventing installing additional community software via ipkg
> or from the sources, I'd like to stay with the original distribution and
> install fpc via cross-compiling. Maybe I can somehow extract the binary
> from the fpc apt-get-Debian-ARM package and just copy it to the device.
> Any idea how this (with a PC finding, downloading  and unpacking the
> files from a Debian package without using apt) might be done ?

I've used a tool called alien for this sort of thing on Debian, and
something comparable for reading .rpms on Slackware. My recollection is
that .deb, .rpm etc. use fairly standard file formats, the "added value"
is in the metadata and scripting.

Having said which, if you're looking for a binary VNC server for ARM
then Debian might not be the best place to start: there's some
(licensing?) issue with a patch that went into VNC to make it run on ARM
which stops Debian using the standard vnc4server package and they've
instead got something with slightly-different parameters (possibly
tightvncserver but I'd need to check).

> I also
> might try to upgrade the (seemingly outdated and not normally
> upgradeable) Debian on my old Slug to do the task. (Do you know how to
> do this ?)

Don't. Your Slug's probably got Lenny on it which is fairly robust.
Knowing that (the processor in) the Slug behaves fairly similarly to
SPARC as far as alignment etc. goes, and knowing that there are gross
failures in Debian Squeeze and Wheezy on SPARC which particularly affect
graphics-related stuff, I'd strongly suggest that you sniff around and
find out what you can do on the existing OS before considering an upgrade.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk