[fpc-devel] "embedded" again

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Jan 16 08:54:45 CET 2013

waldo kitty wrote:
> On 1/15/2013 06:01, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>>>
>>> I wouldn't if the second one is significantly slower than the first one.
>>> Otherwise I'd agree :)
>>
>> On old hardware, maybe, but these days ?
>
> please define "old hardware"... PII 300mhz is "too old"? PIII 800mhz?
> and of course, how much RAM would be considered "not enough"?

I suffered a massive drop in performance when my 4x PIII 2.9GHz died,
and (wanting compatibility with the same type of pluggable disc sleds) I
had to fall back to a 2x 800MHz for Qemu etc. People are giving away
2GHz servers because they're five years old, or 2.8GHz games machines
because their graphics have fallen behind: unless you have compatibility
requirements there's limited excuse for struggling with anything slower.

For production use speed might not matter that much provided that it's
offset by lots of CPUs/cores and adequate memory, but for builds you
need brute-force CPU because FPC paralellisation isn't particularly
fine-grained.

Which is a shame, because today we're collecting a Sun V880 that
somebody local wants cleared from their office: 16x 800MHz CPUs in a
100kg+ chassis. Great as a database, web server, or for things like
Linux kernel builds; not great for FPC/Lazarus or as a Qemu host. Ho hum.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk