Develop on-device [Was: Re: [fpc-devel] "embedded" again]

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Jan 15 12:21:02 CET 2013

On 01/15/2013 12:01 PM, Thomas Schatzl wrote:
> Do it on the device. Either directly or remote via NX, VNC or even
> X-forwarding is fast enough on current devices.
As on the QNAP there is no graphics hardware, VNC will not work (at
least not out of the box). It needs a Frame buffer RAM and if there is
none to install X on, you need to do a simulated Framebuffer RAM in the
normal RAM. I suppose this is possible, but might slow down things a lot
(see RPi with hardware-shared FB RAM). X-forwarding is rather "funny",
the X-Terminal being the X-Server for the device. So the best choice is NX.
> If you have a little more money, you can get a recent smartphone ...
As said: the hardware inn Question is predefined (for me a QNAP NAS
right now). and for "embedded" application you can't use a smartphone,
even if you design the hardware yourself. You will need hardware project
depending interfaces. In fact this is why I suggested to use a
BeagleBone. This "deeply embedded" board is designed very similar to a
high-level smartphone.

> Use "sudo apt-get install lazarus" on the device. Then use VNC, X
> forwarding or NX. Or simply connect HDMI output to a monitor, add a
> keyboard and mouse and there you have your new desktop.
>>> I've used www.nomachine.com some with desktops but I'll have to use
>>> what you linked on my RPi.  Then it might allow my RPi to be a simple
>>> headless embedded system using the ARM Linux stuff here:for
>>>    http://www.turbocontrol.com/easyfpgui.htm
>>>
>> Sorry, I don't get your meaning here. Did you try to install NX-Server
>> on the RPi (as described in the appropriate paper) ? Did it work ? Did
>> you try to try to install Lazarus on the RPi ? Did it work ?
> Again:
>
> sudo apt-get install lazarus
Nice.
But (like e.g. Suse) the QNAP does not have "apt...". Here two package
systems are available: "qpkg" and "optware". There is only a very
limited and dedicate choice of applications in the qpkg world. much more
on optware, but AFAIK not fpc and Lazarus (I think it would be a *good
thing* if the community would be able to provide both on optware "ipkg".

-Michael