[fpc-devel] State of extended RTTI

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 18 20:46:52 CET 2013

On 18.02.2013 18:04, Maciej Izak wrote:
> Can I help?

The generation of the extended RTTI data is currently missing which
needs corresponding knowledge in the compiler. And I'm also waiting for
the finishing of the attributes implementation which will pave some way
for the extended RTTI data. Also Joost (who implements the attributes)
stated that he's also working on a primitive RTTI unit, so that needs to
be checked first. Additionally support for generic methods needs to be
added (this is on my own near term todo list).

After that ground work you would principially be free to implement the
RTTI unit.

> Info about good implementation of TValue -
> http://www.cromis.net/blog/2013/02/tanyvalue-an-attempt-to-make-the-best-variable-data-container/

Please note that the interface needs to be implemented in a way
compatible to Delphi's RTTI.TValue.

> Has FPC some equivalent of invoke from rtti.pas (dynamically invoking
> a methods and procedures/functions)? If not - I have my own basic
> implementation (for stdcall, register and cdecl) based on PascalScript
> calling engine.

We currently don't have an Invoke function. Please note that we also
have additional calling conventions (oldfpccall, cppdecl) and that the
conventions used on other platforms (especially other CPUs) are different.

Regards,
Sven