[fpc-devel] Encoded AnsiString

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Sun Dec 29 05:39:40 CET 2013

Inspired by the current Lazarus discussion I'd like to learn more about
the current state of the implementation of the new AnsiStrings.

In case nothing has be done yet, I'd suggest to extend TAnsiRec by the
new codePage and elemSize fields (words). These can be zero for now, so
that the remaining codebase is not affected. Then it will be possible to
play around with encoded strings, using the codePage field.

A related question:
Why is the string length set to zero in NewAnsiString, when the
allocated Length is already known?

DoDi