[fpc-devel] Offer to repair and maintain the FPC community website (repeat msg, no HTML)

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Thu Sep 27 09:45:06 CEST 2012

Martin Schreiber wrote:

>>> I'm not ready yet to declare FPC/Lazarus as an oldtimers only fad.
>> I'm afraid I don't understand your reply.
>>
> People who prefer NNTP over a nice and modern WEB-forum are dumb oldtimers. So
> I am a dumb oldtimer too. I hate WEB-forums and think NNTP is the most
> convenient and productive discussion format for opensource projects.

Noting that this discussion needs to move to fpc-other.

The one advantage that web-based foramina have is that in principle at
least decent message threading can be implemented. Ideally, however, any
solution should be able to accept and serve messages in various forms,
and I see very little wrong with a system which (a) tags messages with
NNTP-like headers, (b) uses an SMTP mailing list for distribution and
(c) has a central archive that people can refer to if they lose messages.

In short, the existing mailing list setup is not badly broken, and
probably is not where effort should be concentrated.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk