[fpc-devel] Re: Faster Implementation for IntToStr

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Mon Sep 3 12:42:11 CEST 2012

On 03/09/12 10:19, Daniƫl Mantione wrote:

> Certainly, but the code used in that asm implementation is quite out of
> reach for compilers.

Certainly, but there is always scope for improvements right? eg: Delphi
is well know for generating more optimised ASM than FPC. I'm by no means
saying that it is easy, I'm just saying that in the long run it is
easier to maintain Object Pascal code [in the case of IntToStr and
similar functions], than ASM code. Not to forget the fact that such
Object Pascal implementations are much more portable.

   Graeme.