[fpc-devel] Lazarus 1.0 and fpc 2.6 do not install on popular distributions

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Nov 23 13:20:12 CET 2012

Giuliano Colla schrieb:

> The first problem is the rpm format: rpm's are generated with a recent
> version, which provides a higher compression level (lzma), but which
> isn't supported by the previous rpm versions. Using a graphic interface
> installer will not give any clue, just signaling an "unknown error".
> Anybody not stubborn enough will believe that the files are corrupted,
> and will give up, thinking that Lazarus and fpc are shit.

+1

RPMs and DEBs typically are managed and distributed by the OS provider,
so that Lazarus should provide the appropriate files for *every* major
distro. Incompatible file versions will not find their way into the
official distros. We should try to provide more current Lazarus versions
for every long-term platform, to prevent users from getting the old
official versions, e.g. something like 0.9.26 for SuSE 10.

WRT SuSE I found the original versions much more usable than the public
OpenSuse versions. I tried OpenSuse 11/12, and dropped them both after
problems with the installer, drivers, GUI and more.

DoDi