[fpc-devel] Parallel procedures

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri Jun 15 00:39:26 CEST 2012

Hi,

FPC does not yet have parallel loops/procedures, but there is a unit
that helps to create parallel procedures/methods (mtprocs).

http://wiki.freepascal.org/Parallel_procedures

I use this unit since 4 years in several of my projects, which run on
linux, os x and windows. Not much was done on the unit in the last
years, because it simply works.

mtprocs implements a thread pool, although it is not a general
purpose one.

It uses one extra unit mtpcpu, which has a function to guess the number
of cores.

I think both features would be nice to have in fpc by default, so
maybe they should be added.

What do you think?

Mattias