[fpc-devel] Unicode in the RTL (my ideas)

Martin Schreiber mse00000 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 13:06:30 CEST 2012

Am 21.08.2012 12:52, schrieb Hans-Peter Diettrich:

> The good ole Pos() can do that, why search for more complicated
> implementations?
>
> You still try to use old coding patterns which are simply inappropriate
> for dealing with Unicode strings. Why make a distinction between
> searching for a single character or multiple characters, when it's known
> that one character can require multiple bytes or words in UTF-8/16?

I wrote "known German characters" and "known Chinese symbols of the BMP"
for example character constants. If you want to read some examples of
problems with utf-8 especially for pupils and Pascal beginners read the
German Lazarus Forum or freepascal.ru. Why should we design programming
so that it complicates the work for them? Anyway, I don't care, do what
you want but please implement Unicode resource strings in FPC compiler.

Thanks, Martin