[fpc-devel] Unicode resource strings

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 11:37:53 CEST 2012

On 21 August 2012 10:16, Ivanko B <ivankob4mse2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Though me'm sure that latin people don't suffer from slowliness of
> utf-8 where utf-8 = ansistring.

And I gather you base your assumptions on MSEgui. MSEgui uses UCS-2,
*not* UTF-16. I also believe MSEgui doesn't bother with surrogate
pairs (please correct me if I am wrong). UTF-16 will also slow down if
UTF-16LE and UTF-16BE is taken into account, and surrogate pairs added
to the mix. How well will your "access char via index" code perform on
that? Or will your code simply be broken then. In my apps where I use
UTF-8 internally, I don't have to worry about any of that, and my
programs will continue ticking as normal, no matter if you I use Plane
0 or Planes 1-16 of the Unicode codepoints.

As I said multiple times, developers love to take shortcuts when it
comes to UCS-2 or UTF-16. They only think BMP and nothing further.
That's not what I consider "supporting Unicode".

  - Graeme -