[fpc-devel] Unicode resource strings

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Aug 21 11:05:04 CEST 2012

On 08/21/2012 10:15 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> You're in for a surprise... With a statement that reads "It provides
> direct access to serial ports, TAPI, and the Microsoft Speech API." it
> should start sounding alarm bells for Linux developers.
Of course you are very right and silly me did not take these additional
uses into account.

I only used AsyncPro for avoiding explicit Thread programming when using
serial interfaces. And just this is a demand I heard very often in
several FPC related forums.

So I should have stated that these additonal windows-centric uses of
AsyncPro need to me {$if ed out when not appropriate.

>  Direct serial port access is probably very different under Linux too.
I don't think so. Accessing the port always is similar to accessing a
file, and I understand a blocking access (which is used in the Threads
of AsyncPro is always provided.
Supposedly setting the serial port parameters needs some porting.

> I have ported (or fixed previous port attempts) of Turbo Power
> products to work x-platform. Turbo Power loved to use Windows API
> calls etc, and that makes porting a non-trivial task.
I suppose you are right. That is why I did not start porting (the said
parts of) AsyncPro.
>  Not to mention that sometimes things are just easier when you start
> an implementation from scratch
You may be right on  this.

-Michael