[fpc-devel] Unicode resource strings

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 10:23:30 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 21 August 2012 08:37, Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de> wrote:

> But does that really suggest taking the effort to support other Unicode
> variants ?

Yes, if you want to to make the statement "FPC fully supports Unicode"

> The conversion is done only when entering and exiting the OS / GUI framework
> calls. I understand this does not happen too often.

I beg to differ.

> Of course it is really nice to provide support for any Unicode encoding, but
> I don't think it does not harm to use UTF-16 as a default.

As Florian said... UTF-16 was implemented first in the FPC Compiler.
Others are welcome to add UTF-8 as the default for other FPC platforms
like Linux. There are a lot more Unix-type platforms than the one
Windows platform, so why must all the other platforms take a
conversion hit. I know nothing about compiler internals, but I hope to
rise to the challenge Florian set.

  - Graeme -