[fpc-devel] Unicode resource strings

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Aug 20 11:30:17 CEST 2012

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 20/08/12 08:52, Sven Barth wrote:
>>
>> Just to avoid confusion: The reference counted 2-byte string type on all
>> platforms is UnicodeString, not WideString (the latter is not reference
>> counted on Windows platforms).
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think WideString was reference
> counted an all platforms "in the beginning" - like Martin mentioned.
> Later it was changed, and the new UnicodeString become the "reference
> counted on all platforms" type.

So could somebody make a definitive statement: for basic two-byte
Unicode handling, what types should be used?

I've got a couple of terminal emulators using WideChar and WideString
for internal manipulation, what /should/ I be using? and where does it
leave things like Sorokin's regex unit, which similarly use WideChar and
WideString?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk